Years ago, in 1948, The DeBeers Group came up with a slogan to best describe diamonds. “Diamonds are Forever,” it said. Lo and behold, everyone believed them. How true is this though? Do diamonds really last forever? Are they truly indestructible? The answer is no. Much like everything else on earth, diamonds can be damaged and even destroyed.
Diamonds are the hardest mineral on earth. In fact, you can only cut into rough diamonds with other diamonds and diamond dust. However, that does not mean that they are immune to breakage and destruction. These hard stones are easily scratched and are prone to chipping. There have been cases where our customers have had complaints of diamonds literally breaking into pieces. Therefore, it is imperative that you treat your diamonds with proper care. These expensive diamonds are precious and must be taken care of to have them truly last forever.
Gemstones like Ruby and Sapphire are also considered hard minerals, but none as strong as diamonds. Sure, these minerals are extremely resistant to heat and scratching, however, if hit with the right pressure at the right place, it can cause chipping and cracking. The girdle of the diamond is especially prone to chipping.
So, what can you do to protect your precious stones?
The following are a few things to keep in mind, whilst caring for your diamond.
- One of the biggest mistakes you can make with diamonds is continuing to wear them while you perform the extreme physical activity- such as going to the gym and even household cleaning that requires lifting and putting away heavy things, and exposure to chemical irritants. Always remember to take your ring off before cleaning or lifting heavy objects. Trust us, doing this will save you a lot of hassle in the future.
- Granite countertops are gorgeous- we agree. However, it is also your diamonds worst enemy. It is a hard surface and if you hit the diamond on it the wrong way, there’s a 100% chance that your diamond will chip. So be sure to remove your ring before you whip out the Masterchef in you.
- At Diamond Story, we love plants and gardening, we really do. But we also love diamonds. So next time you’re gardening, make sure that you keep your diamonds indoors and safe to prevent them from hazards such as the gardening tools or even just the hard rocks that it may come in contact with. Also, let us all agree that a soiled diamond ring isn’t particularly a good look either.
- While applying external body creams or emollients ensure that it doesn’t come in contact with your ring. Constant exposure to such substances can cause dirt to stick to the diamond, making it appear dull. The friction can even cause scratches on your diamond. It is best to take off your ring before you indulge in any of the aforementioned activities.
- You can invest in a velvet pouch or a box designed for your ring to keep it safe while travelling or storage. There are multiple options available online on websites such as Amazon, to fit your preferences and size of the ring/jewellery or just a loose diamond. Or simply store the ring in the Diamond Story box that is provided with every ring.
- Certain cuts (shapes) of diamonds are more prone to chipping and breakage than others. At Diamond Story, we advise considering how active you will be before choosing a shape. Shapes like marquise and princess cuts are not great for active people as they have sharper edges, making them more susceptible to chipping. Shapes such as round, oval and rounded corner cushions are the safer options that you could go for. Alternatively, you can also choose a setting that will best protect your diamond. You can refer to our settings guide here.
- We highly recommend having your diamond professionally checked every year to ensure that no damage has occurred.
- Has your ring insured to make sure that you are covered? It may seem like an unnecessary cost now, but none of us wants to have a Kim Kardashian meltdown on a vacation after losing $175000 diamond earrings in the sea, alright? If you don’t know what we are talking about, you must be living under a rock (pun intended). Check out QReport as they are the industry leaders in Jewellery Insurance.
If you are looking for a unique diamond, you can be assured that you get the best prices, advice, and workmanship at Diamond Story! Call 03 9642 3649 and one of our diamond experts will be with you to sort you out.